Thursday, September 23, 2010

For starters


As this is the first ever posting on this new blog, I might as well introduce myself. I'm new to diecast model car and bike collecting, but I've been riding bikes and driving cars since 1970. I have several distinct preferences when it comes to this hobby. I prefer older cars, mostly those prior to 1970, but I'm interested in bikes from any era. I also love French cars, but by no means exclusively. When it really comes down to it, my tastes are all over the shop, and the collection includes flashy convertibles from the US, pioneering rally cars, taxis, etc.

And so without any further ado, I'll start with the car that arrived in the mail today, which does neatly lead me on to explain my choice of photo in the title box for this blog.


Auto Union Type D. 1938 British GP Winner: Driver, Tazio Nuvolari.
The model is a 1:43 by Minichamps, and it's beautiful.

3 litre V12; 485bhp @ 7000; Top speed 320-340km/h. No slouch.
Fabulous shape, radical design; Nuvolari was the kind of driver it needed.
Tazio at Donington winning the British GP. Little guy, big handful of a car.
As a kid, I read the biographies of two racing car legends, and they're still my heroes these days, partly because a lot of people don't even know they ever existed. Tazio Nuvolari is one hero, and the other, almost 'of course', is Fangio. I have some of Fangio's cars, too.

Fangio, drifting at speed at Silverstone in 1956.

Let's have one more! Fangio drifting in the 1957 French GP.
This is my Spark 1:43 model of the W-196, with Fangio at the wheel.
2.5 litre, desmodromic straight eight, 290bhp @8200. Top speed 300km/h.
And here's the 1957 Maserati 250F with which Fangio won his last World
Championship. It's a 3.5 litre V-12, 310hp @7200, top speed about 305km/h.
The model is a 1:43 by Brumm, very solidly built, too.
And so that will do for introductions. I've been a very busy boy collecting cars these last five months. I have plenty more to show you, and so when I get the chance I'll add to this blog. I think next time it'll be time for some French road cars, and soon after that, some bikes.



2 comments:

  1. Looks great! Can't wait to see more of your collection. I collect 1/43s, mostly Minichamps. I've noticed that Norev makes most of the 1/43 French cars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by! Your blog has inspired me to do something modest here. When I get the time there'll be updates aplenty on my spending spree over the last few months

    ReplyDelete